If you don't have time to watch the full video, here are some of the topics we covered:
- Product positioning: How should Newsletter Glue position itself to appeal to prospective customers.
- Whether you should market to customers who don't know they need your product or market yourself as a competitor to an existing product.
- Can bootstrapped businesses afford to nurture leads that aren't ready to buy yet?
- Selling a WordPress plugin involves a more complex sales funnel because the user has to install the software on their server. What can be done to streamline this?
- Building a simple free tool which can act as lead gen for the more complex paid tool.
- Startup marketing is nothing like marketing at a big company, so you shouldn't try to copy what the big brands are doing.
- It's unrealistic to expect to find a single marketing channel that scales. Most boostrapped companies need to chain together a series of small marketing wins.
Note: This video discussion format is new for me. If you have any feedback (positive or negative) I'd love to hear it so I can iterate on this format (or kill it entirely) in the future.